Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

Man checking the electric gadgetCarbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. It’s also deadly, and any home could fall victim to a leak since it can be emitted by HVAC systems and other appliances. You can protect your family by learning how to recognize the potential signs of a carbon monoxide leak. You can also reduce the chances of having one by scheduling regular furnace maintenance visits by a residential HVAC professional.

Check your carbon monoxide detectors.

Carbon monoxide detectors can save lives, and every home should have them on every floor. You should assume that a leak is present if your carbon monoxide alarm is sounding. But if it isn’t, and you notice other potential signs of a leak, check to see whether the batteries need replacing or the detector itself needs replacing. And if you don’t yet have carbon monoxide detectors, get some installed right away.

Check for indirect signs of a carbon monoxide leak.

Without carbon monoxide detectors, a leak is impossible for a homeowner to detect directly. However, there may be some indirect indicators. The malfunctioning equipment that causes the carbon monoxide leak can also emit other toxic gases, which may give off a burning smell. You could also check for excessive condensation on the windows and walls next to a fuel-burning appliance.

Consider whether anyone is showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Infants, young children, and the elderly are likely to show signs of carbon monoxide poisoning first, although everyone will get sick from it if levels climb high enough in the home. Carbon monoxide poisoning can appear flu-like at first, causing these symptoms:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Upset stomach
  • Nausea and vomiting

Unless victims get out of the building and into the fresh air, the symptoms will get worse. They may include:

  • Blurry vision
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Loss of consciousness

Protect your family and extend the life of your HVAC system by scheduling a fall service visit today. Call Triple T Heating & Cooling at 801-798-7711 for all of your heating and cooling needs in Spanish Fork. We’re a family-owned HVAC company with more than 40 years of experience providing prompt, professional, and courteous service.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *